Photo by Noah Shatzer
The ‘Spirit of South Mountain’ Award
Each year we recognize an individual, project, or organization that has made significant contributions to advancing a positive and sustainable future for the South Mountain landscape. The Spirit of South Mountain award is to be presented at the annual “Power of the Partnership” year-end celebration in January.
Award nominations will be judged based on the degree to which they:
- reflect the mission of South Mountain Partnership: “Conserving Landscape Resources to enrich the quality of life and sense of place of the South Mountain region’s citizens and communities
- advance the goals of the South Mountain Partnership:
- Conservation of Landscape Resources – conserving and stewarding the natural, cultural, recreational and agricultural resources that make the South Mountain landscape unique;
- Promotion of Landscape Resources – elevating public awareness of the natural, cultural, recreational, and agricultural resources;
- Connections Across the Landscape – creating a community of collaboration amongst a critical mass of public agencies, non-profit and community organizations, businesses, and citizens.
The 2018 ‘Spirit of South Mountain’ Award Recipient —
The 7th ‘Spirit of South Mountain’ Award was presented to Karen Lutz, retired Mid-Atlantic Regional Director for the Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC). Karen joined the staff of ATC in 1988 after volunteering and being a founding member of the Cumberland Valley Appalachian Trail Club.