Photo by Noah Shatzer
The ‘Spirit of South Mountain’ Award
Each year we recognize an individual, project, or organization that has made significant contributions to advancing a positive and sustainable future for the South Mountain landscape. The Spirit of South Mountain award is to be presented at the annual “Power of the Partnership” year-end celebration in January.
To nominate someone for the 2019 Spirit of South Mountain, click here.Forms are due by December 20, 2019
Award nominations will be judged based on the degree to which they:
- reflect the mission of South Mountain Partnership: “Conserving Landscape Resources to enrich the quality of life and sense of place of the South Mountain region’s citizens and communities
- advance the goals of the South Mountain Partnership:
- Conservation of Landscape Resources – conserving and stewarding the natural, cultural, recreational and agricultural resources that make the South Mountain landscape unique;
- Promotion of Landscape Resources – elevating public awareness of the natural, cultural, recreational, and agricultural resources;
- Connections Across the Landscape – creating a community of collaboration amongst a critical mass of public agencies, non-profit and community organizations, businesses, and citizens.
The 2018 ‘Spirit of South Mountain’ Award Recipient —
The 7th ‘Spirit of South Mountain’ Award was presented to Karen Lutz, retired Mid-Atlantic Regional Director for the Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC). Karen joined the staff of ATC in 1988 after volunteering and being a founding member of the Cumberland Valley Appalachian Trail Club.