Photo by Loy Elliott
-Regional Capacity Building Initiative
With much support from the 12 Partners below, South Mountain Partnership led the charge on an application to the Chesapeake Bay Trust Regional Capacity Building Initiative.
Our South Mountain Region WON!
- Adams County Planning Department
- Audubon Pennsylvania
- Cumberland Area Economic Development/Cumberland Valley Visitors Bureau
- Capital Resource Conservation & Development
- Cumberland County Planning Department
- Dickinson College
- Franklin County Planning Department
- Franklin County Visitors Bureau
- Partnership For Better Health
- Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania
- Wilson College
- York County Planning Commission
This means that our South Mountain region was selected to participate in a capacity building program that will be facilitated by the Chesapeake Bay Trust. The purposes of this initiative are to a) increase the collective and individual grassroots capacity to accomplish regional goals at the intersection of community and environment and b) establish durable, powerful, and coordinated efforts to advance programs and policies to improve regions and communities beyond the term of the initiative.
This initiative will provide facilitation services, technical assistance, training and grants to strengthen and diversify regional collaborations working together to advance a shared regional and community driven agenda that improves the quality of life in the region and protects and restores natural resources. This request for proposals invites proposals from regions, prepared collaboratively by organizations working at the community, watershed and/or regional level to improve human health, create economic opportunity, advance clean water plans, increase access of local, sustainable food, conserve lands, protect and enhance community open space, etc, to seek assistance to develop and support cross sector collaborative strategies and also build individual organizational capacity.
UPDATE – August 2017:
Our Collaborative has been hard at work over the past year. A brief update on what has been achieved:
- 3 Year Regional Work Plan;
- Approximately $100,000 is being invested right now in the region –
- Individual Organization Capacity Building Grants awarded to:
- Regional Capacity Building Grant:
- South Mountain Partnership for Strategic Planning, to include Operational Plan
UPDATE – July 2016:
The Core Partners will come together for a Kick-Off meeting on July 22nd. Here is what we are planning to accomplish during this first meeting:
- Discuss and get clarity about what the capacity building initiative is, available funding, timelines, etc;
- Get to know one another (better);
- Collectively decide on the group’s goals and priorities;
- Create a process and simple governance structure to work together towards our goals and priorities over next 6 months, including producing a work plan for years 2 and 3 of the capacity building initiative and identifying capacity needs (both of which are needed to apply for funding).