Photo by Loy Elliott

Conococheague Institute

A Retirement Home …? Around the year of 1806, one Eliab Negley made the decision to retire from farming and turn the operation over to a son, including the large residence in which he’d raised his family. Thus came about what is now known here as the “Negley log house.” Built in the style of a German flurkuchenhaus, it has 2 front entry doors, 3 rooms downstairs, a sleeping loft and a partial basement which was used as a cold cellar. The house was occupied from then until 1955. When volunteers began restoration of the then derelict house in 1994, they found a treasure buried amongst the chinking behind the fireplace. A shoe of both Mr. & Mrs. Negley had been placed in the wall when it was built as a house blessing! To this day the cabin has a blessed, peaceful atmosphere. Come visit us at Conococheague Institute and see out other “treasures”!

View Archive
Share ThisShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterGoogle+Email to someone